Friday Project Update: Ruin and Holy Press

This week was dealing with life events and updating my game projects to be ready for beta testing with friends and family around Christmastime. I’ll briefly touch on the changes and planned changes so far:



This week was focused on reworking the cards, including adding the Coin cards in to add a different level of mechanics, adding a play cost for cards (and making Locations inherently valuable with a constant 0-Coin play cost). I also worked on trying to make the cards a bit more unique, but I may end up revisiting it and making every card unique rather than just most of them.


I gotta get me one of these

On a side note, while I love Paperize’s beta, I do not love my lack of a guillotine-style paper cutter. I ended up shearing the everloving daylights out of about a dozen cards, cutting off crucial text on most of those. I think this may go on the wishlist for Valentine’s Day or as a personal indulgence.

Speaking of indulgences…


Holy Press

Yup, I loved the Monday Game Design so much that I wanted to expand it into a full game. Currently I’ve got the core gameplay fairly well ironed-out, but I’m working on peripheral cards and mechanics to help complement the main game.

I’ve been working on the Game Crafter to figure out how much I have available if I’m shooting for a $30 MSRP for a large-print-run game, and to my surprise found out that the additional costs and such for non-bulk orders on GC mean that $30 of raw GC components would end up being only about $6ish if bought in bulk for a large print run, so the GC price ends up matching the target MSRP anyways!

I’m still trying to find a good source of hex tiles, but I’m hoping that I can figure something out, as the alternative I have with using fewer tiles but each tile having a card of some sort doesn’t match quite as well with the Tithes and Dispensation cards I have planned.

Next week I won’t be working on games for most or probably all week, but the following week I hope to finish the work on Holy Press and get it into a testing-ready state so I can bring it along too.

I’ll also be bringing Negative Pressure along with as well, although I need to do some heavy reworking with that one at some point: I need to start nailing down the limits of what the game price and component count will look like, so I can better outline which and how many of each are available. That will probably have to wait until after the holidays, and I’m not even sure Ill have sufficient time to give it a playtest anyways!

Until next time!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s